Friday, August 1, 2008

El Mejicano Restaurant - Lunch

Enchiladas Suizas #12 - $8.25
Before the meal, we were presented with taco chips and salsa. Before I go much further, I should explain that I am not very familiar with "authentic Mexican food" so these comments are my opinions not based on comparing the food to traditional Mexican food. My two Enchilados were served in a nice presentation of rice, beans, and shredded iceberg lettuce. The refried beans (with melted cheese) were smoother and more soupier than I have in other places. I wanted to try to green sauce (Suizas) on the enchiladas. The sauce was wonderful with a flavorful vinegary bite to it. The shredded chicken inside was hand shredded with large chunks. I can tell it was home shredded because there was a small bone in mine. When we were finished were presented, at no charge, with a desert (probably something special for new customers) of a deep fried banana in a flour tortilla, covered with syrup and a scoop of strawberry ice cream and whipped cream on the top. The restaurant is pleasant, well-lit, and colorful with adequate parking. Outside there is a large deck with umbrellas if you want to eat outside. The place is on the corner of 23 and 517 (about a 30 drive from Newton) - just take Newton-Sparta Road all the way to 23 in Franklin. The parking lot entrance is actually on Munsonhurst Road, once block in from 23 on 517. If this place were closer, I would go there frequently...I enjoyed it the most of our now three Mexican restaurants. Be sure to try it. Dinner prices are a little more with the most expensive item being $23.95.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to Sterling Hill Mining Museum 8/15, so looked up your Paraiso review linked to Wooden Duck B&B site. Also found your El Mejicano post. They helped us find nearby lunch/dinner places.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Checked this place out over the Labor Day weekend and was surprisingly impressed. Although it was a bit on the pricey side, the food quality was excellent. I had the Shrimp Acapulco and my date had one of the mexican combo dishes. We were both very happy with the quality and taste of our meals and will certainly be back many more times.