Tuesday, August 19, 2008

County Seat - Dinner

Adobe Chicken ($13.99) - special, not on regular menu
I started with a tri-color salad ($4.99) which was the best salad I have had in a long time... mixed greens with some bitter ones like watercress. It was lightly dressed with a house balsamic vinegar dressing. My chicken was served with a Mexican type rice, average guacamole on a bed a shredded lettuce. The chicken breast was spicy, yet flavorful (not just hot.) It was covered with a wonderful creamy corn salsa and the whole thing was topped off with freshly fried noodles (which I could have done without.) I splurged and had the warm bread pudding for dessert which was delightfully rich, served with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. I drank iced tea with my dinner (which was refilled at no cost) and a cup of coffee with dessert. For all of that, it cost me $30.47. Hooray for the new owners of the County Seat who have taken a dark bar which sold some pretty good food, to a bright (new big window added) quality restaurant with a bar (half the size of the old one.) This is a great choice in Newton for a nice restaurant at a reasonable price. Since I always like a salad with my meal, I would have liked to see a small salad included with dinner.
The County Seat is just down the hill from the Newton square, north on 206 (across from the Exxon station.) They have their own parking lot but it is across 206 (which has always bothered me) but it is not hard to cross with the extra lane in the middle at that point. You now enter the restaurant from the 206 side (not down the alley.) Watch out, there are two doors in the front, take the right one.. the one on the left leads upstairs. Try the NEW County Seat out. You will be pleased.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the update! We no longer live in the area and when we were home for a visit I was afraid to try the "new" place. I have very fond memories of the original restaurant and was worried that changes would have been made not necessarily for the better! Thanks to your great review, I'll be sure to plan a visit when we're home at Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

I recently treated a friend to a dinner at the newly re-opened County Seat in Newton, NJ. The prices were very high for the food quality. Our server was condescending and rude. The brie salad was excellent, but it was the only thing I can say that was positive about the experience. When ordering burgers, we asked to substitute onion rings for french fries, and were told it was not an option. (We would have been glad to pay more) The burgers were both overdone. I called County Seat and spoke to the “acting manager” who said his name was “Bob”. He repeatedly interrupted me and seemed totally disinterested in the complaints. I told him in today’s economy customer service should be of primary concern. He hung up on me! I called back to confirm that he had indeed hung up and he said “yes” because he did not like what I had to say about the restaurant. Think twice before dining at the County Seat in Newton!!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't be fooled. I have been in the resturaunt business a long time and trust me the County Seat is fabulous. The menu is NOT too high, the same as any other family resturaunts. People have to understand that if you want a good meal you have to pay for it, if not just go to Applebee's. We always go on Thursdays during happy hour in which all apps are like $3.00. The food and service has always been great only once did we ever have to wait a little longer than normal. But, people have to remember cooks and servers are human too, as much as they would like to please everyone all the time, its not possible, as you can see above.