Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Narin Thai - Dinner

Hot Pepper (Pad Krapao) ($13.00) Since I am not familiar with Thai food, on the advice of the waitress, I selected an appetizer (Chicken Satay - $6.00) which was slices of chicken in a bright peanut sauce over lettuce, diced cucumbers and red onions. The entree came with either chicken or beef or $2.00 more for shrimp. I was warned about the "Thai heat" so I asked for it to be "American hot" (my term.) There was just a little bite of heat so the next time I will ask for the full Thai heat for the spicy dishes. Both the appetizer and entree were wonderful. Both the taste and textures were bright and crisp. The entree was mostly a wide variety of vegetables with four large shrimp. Since it was the first time, I also ordered coffee and dessert (fried bananas on vanilla ice cream.) It was a very interesting presentation. 2" slices of banana were wrapped in a package of pastry and fried. Two of these packages were served over two small scoops of delicious ice cream. The Narin Tai restaurant is on the square in Newton (former location of Il Baccio, Thyme Square, and Peekays.) It is a pleasant change for the area. The food is bright, crisp and healthy. The only problem is the parking... you must park on the square or street. It is a BYOB place and there is a convenient liquor store around the corner on Spring Street. I will go back. I hope it lasts, giving us some culinary variety in the area. NOTE: I went on their first Wednesday night open and it was good to see two other couples eating at 5:30. They also appear to be doing a brisk take-out business. They are open for lunch with the same menu at cheaper prices.

No comments: