Monday, October 20, 2008

Asian Island - Dinner

Grilled Sea Bass $20.00
The Asian Island is a Japanese restaurant in Sparta (next to the Post Office.) They have a lot of shushi and a shushi bar.. but I don't care for that so I asked for a recommendation the the Sea Bass was suggested. It was one of the more expensive things on the menu but was well worth it. The fish was served on a bed of diagonally sliced blanched asparagus with three sauces around it.. one was a mango sauce. There was also halved new potatoes, fried and the fish was topped with a flower blossom. I was not aware that the meal came with soup and salad, so I ordered the $6.00 Shumai (steamed shrimp dumplings.) These were wonderful with the dipping sauce. The soup that came with the meal was nice (could not identify it) and had small diced tofu in it. I don't usually like the fish stock of Japanese soup but this was good. The simple salad was dressed with some kind of Asian inspired dressing... Asian meals don't usally come with a salad, but I always like one. I drank tea which was a cloudy green tea with ground leaves in the bottom of the cup. The tea had a very pleasant body and flavor. My meal totalled for less than $30.00 but I got an expensive item along with an appetizer which I didn't need. The Asian Island is a pleasant, small restaurant. Since it is in the strip mall at the Post Office in Sparta, there is plenty of parking. I had an excellent dining experience. If you like Japanese food, check it out for a change. It has been opened for a year and I just heard about it.

No comments: